Monday, July 27, 2009

Vacation!

I've been friends with Sarah since high school. We met when I first moved to North Carolina in 8th grade, but I mostly remember her as that girl who skipped very violently and she says I was the new girl with the weird pig lunch bag. We had the same PE class in 9th grade though, and ended getting in a long conversation about Harry Potter and how, seriously, was child services never called? We've been friends ever since.

Sarah is currently serving in the Peace Corps in Tonga (in the South Pacific), but right now, she's in Korea visiting me! (She's currently on the floor of my apartment watching Gossip Girls. Korean internet is a tad bit faster than Tongan internet.) This is super exciting for a number of reasons. I haven't seen anyone from home for the past ten months AND I'm getting the next two weeks off school.

Taking a vacation at home, especially when you have a guest, is a new experience. I'm enjoying taking the opportunity to really look at my city. I tend to get stuck in a rut, hanging out with my friends and ignoring all the things Korea has to offer. On Saturday, Sarah and I went to Insadong, a shopping district in northern Seoul. Insadong mostly sells traditional Korean objects: hanji (traditional Korean mulberry paper), celadon pottery, silk bags and fans.

Insadong Fans

There will be loads of posts coming, but right now I'm just going to enjoy Sarah's visit and my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment