Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday Five

- I'm suppose to be heading back to Korea in two weeks. (More about that later.) I have neither a signed contract (needed for a visa), a visa nor a plane ticket, which is making me a tad bit nervous. I've emailed my recruiter who assured me that everything is in the works and I'll get the necessary paperwork in time, but I'm wishing I had kept better (any) notes about the application process last time so I could compare timelines.

- I've been taking an online course to get my TEFL certificate. It's a 100 hour course, and for the first few weeks I was quite diligent about studying everyday, but in between having friends in town and being sick, I've fallen so far behind schedule that I doubt I'll be able to finish it before I go back. It's hardly the end of the world and I can finish the course in Korea, but I'm annoyed at myself for procrastinating.

- It's snowing again, our fourth winter storm of the season. Like a lot of southerners who have chosen to leave the south, I have a complex relationship with my heritage, but I realize that at least when it comes to snow (and cornbread, although that doesn't pertain here), I am very, very southern. As soon as the flurries started coming down, I'm all, "OMG, THE END IS NIGH!" and I have to fight the part of me that wants to rush out and stock up on milk, eggs and bread. And I don't even drink milk. I'm housesitting this weekend and was packing for the night when it started to snow. It's only suppose to snow an inch or two and I'm just staying across town, but I ended up with a half dozen changes of underwear and three books, plus a Kindle, so clearly I'm anticipating being snowed in for the next month. Logically I know I'm being ridiculous, but I just can't stop myself.

- Speaking of housesitting, I'm watching the house, pets and mother on Hospice of a lady from church this weekend. The mother on Hospice is suppose to have actual medical type people stop by to take care of her all weekend, but given how hard it is snowing and how dicey the back roads where when I got here two hours ago, I don't know if anyone will be able to come tonight. I'm sure everything will be fine, but this has the potential of being a lot worse than forgetting to feed someone's fish and I'm a touch neurotic, which is not a good combination for my sanity.

- The Winter Olympics start tonight and I'm looking forwards to watching the opening ceremonies tonight. Mostly I'm excited about it marking the start of the Ravelympics, but I'm also looking forwards to watching Kim Yu-na skate. Kim Yu-na is a nineteen-year old South Korea figure skating prodigy who grew up just minutes from where I taught last year, making her sports hero number one for a lot of my students. I hope she wins, if only for their sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment