Wednesday, July 21, 2010

and then I cut off all my hair

I got my hair cut this weekend! One of the many ways I fail at being an adult is getting regular hair cuts. You're suppose to get a hair cut what, every six weeks? I can probably count on one hand the number of hair cuts I've had since I graduated college three years ago. I've spend half that time in Korea, where hair cuts are made difficult by the language barrier and hair dressers who don't believe me when I tell them I don't have a perm, just naturally curly hair, but I have no excuse for the year and half I spent in the States.

I went to Bucheon for the hair cut.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the southern suburbs of Seoul (so... most of you) here's a map:


I live in Seongnam, the blue check, and went to Bucheon, the red check. It's not a short trip - between the local bus to the Seongnam bus terminal and the express bus to the Bucheon bus terminal, it took about an hour and a half - but it's worth it for a hair dresser who both knows how to cut curly hair and doesn't charge a small fortune to do so. Also my friend Marie, who was also getting her hair cut, lives out that way.

So right, my hair. It's short! It's a little shorter than I wanted, but after that first snip is made, the die has been cast, and now that I'm use to it, I think really like it. It's been a long time since my hair had a proper style. For most of my life, I had very very fine hair. No, whatever you're thinking, it was finer than that. Then, at some point during high school, my hair started to get thicker. Then it started to curl, and one day I woke up and realized I had a completely different head of hair than I had had a few years previous and I had NO IDEA how to style it. I think this is the first hair cut I've had that properly deals with the curls.  I worry a little that this makes me look like a dandelion, but I like it!

Hair Cut!
This was taken at lunch right after the hair cut. The hair dresser blew my hair dry and then went back and curled it. He called it "punk style". Then I walked outside into the pouring rain and my hair immediately went SPROING!

Hair Cut!
This was taken about an hour ago in my bathroom. (You can see the dinner dishes in the kitchen in reflection.) I let my hair air dry and curl as it pleases with just a little product to help combat the dandelion effect. The curls are a bit softer and bouncier than when the hair dresser styled it.

Shabu Shabu
After the hair cuts, Marie and I waded (like I said, pissing rain) to a shabu shabu restaurant for a seriously delicious lunch. Om nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment