Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Deskwarming With Hitler

The subject line (and my gchat status) comes from this video, which actually made me cry with laughter the first time I saw it. Summer vacation for Korean public schools is six weeks long. There are various activities during the summer (in addition to the English camps, my school had a computer class, a math camp and art camp), but unless they're actively teaching a class, the Korean teachers aren't required to be at school. However, the contracts are written differently for the Native Teachers and I'm required to come into school, even if I'm not teaching. This summer, I have two weeks of camp, two weeks of vacation and two weeks of sitting in my office.

I'm not even pretending to work this week. Yesterday I brought my computer and edit the Hello Kitty Cafe photos. Today I meant to blog about English camp and instead booked a flight to Costa Rica.* Tomorrow I plan on bringing in a downloaded copy of Inception and watching it on giant computer screen in my classroom.** I don't mind working when there's work to be done, but I don't like having my time wasted. There are no classes, no students, no one at all on this entire floor, and there's nothing I'm doing here that I couldn't just as easily do at home. And at home, I don't have to wear pants.***

* I'm going to visit Sarah in Costa Rica next April! I figure I'm more likely to exercise fiscal responsibility and save for the trip if the tickets are already booked.
** Shhh, don't tell anyone. I've seen Inception twice in the theaters already and love it!
*** Of course, I'm at work now and I'm not wearing pants.**** I'm just not a fan of waking up and getting dressed in the morning.
**** What? I'm wearing a skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment