Monday, June 8, 2009

[and you’re blown away by your own hurricane // and you wonder why]

A few weeks ago, I told a friend that I love taking photos because it means I had a blog post without having to write anything. Of course, I always end up writing something anyways (I'm not good about shutting up), but it is easier, especially when I'm swamped at work because of two %$&@#* open classes in two weeks.

Roses

Roses

Roses, incongruously juxtaposed against the urban sprawl of modern Seoul. (The bee says, "Bzzzt!")

abc bracelet

One of my tiny precious 4th graders (the one who always wants hugs) gave me a bracelet made of random Latin letters. It happens to spell out SSK. Any knitters reading this will know why that's funny. It also spells out ZOG, which is such a coincidence since ZOG! the Maleficent is the villain in the B-movie of my heart.

6-5

Sixth graders! I needed a photo of students for my open class lesson (Q: What do they do? A: They are students!), so this afternoon I stuck my head into the music room and snapped a quick picture in between songs. A few weeks ago my dad asked me why I kept throwing the peace sign in the photos I sent home. I told him, "Well, when in Asia, do as the Asians." (I started out doing it ironically, but now I think it's just that thing I do when I see a camera.) He asked if it was true that Asians, or at least Koreans, have a Pavlovian reflex to make the peace sign when they see a camera. Since I quite literally stuck my head in the classroom, shouted, "Guys!" to get the kids attention and snapped the photo, I think it's safe to say that yes, yes they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment