Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hi Cake Teacher!

I was sitting on the subway this morning, nose in a book as per usual, when all of a sudden I heard a voice say, "HI CAKE TEACHER!" I looked up and standing in front of me was one of my third grade girls, sporting a huge grin. Lurking behind her were three of my 5th grade boys, her brother and two of his friends. Guys, I was north of the river, nearly an hour away from home and on neither of the two subway lines that serve my town. The Seoul National Capital Area has 25 million people, and I run into four of my students on a sparely populated subway car. What are the odds?

I waved to the boys and shook hands with the girl, only she doesn't quite grasp the concept of shaking hands, so we repeatedly laced our fingers together and then rapidly let go, a bit like quickly holding hands ten times in a row. We chatted for a bit - they were on their way to Seoul for the day, something in Korean I didn't catch, lots of fun, Teacher, on Monday class, game? Then they returned to their seats and I returned to my book, but every time I looked up for the rest of the ride, at least one of my students would have an eye on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment