Monday, November 29, 2010

A Korean Thanksgiving

My first Thanksgiving away from home, I spent the day blinking back tears and taught my classes through a tight throat before treking into Seoul for a turkey dinner with friends. This year, I figured the holiday would be easier if I just ignored it, and so I went to the dentist. I did call home the next morning (Korea is 14 hours ahead of the East Coast, so 8:00 my Friday morning was 6:00 Thursday evening back home), but I didn't even get dinner on Thanksgiving since my mouth was too numb from the dentist to chew.

I did, however, celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday with my Stitch n' Bitch group. We ordered a traditional dinner from Dragon Hill Lodge on the base and people brought additional dishes. We had turkey and potatoes and green bean casserole and walnut pie, which isn't quite pecan pie, but was closer that I expecting to get here. We opted not to go around in a circle and list what we were thankful for, but I am thankful. I'm thankful to have a job I enjoy. I'm thankful that I get to live in another country and I'm thankful that that country is Korea. I'm thankful I have friends to spend Thanksgiving with. I'm thankful that I'm here and healthy and happy.

A Korean Thanksgiving
Our hostess Caroline carving her first turkey. She did an excellent job.

A Korean Thanksgiving

A Korean Thanksgiving
Our Thanksgiving feast.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful I had such good friends to spend Thanksgiving with, too :)

    And, no, my house didn't burn down. I was also thankful for that. Ironically, I *did* leave my floor heater on (very very thankful for that *^^*

    ReplyDelete