Thursday, November 18, 2010

Step & Jump

I spent all day review Step & Jump with the 4th graders. Step & Jump is supplemental material for the national curriculum and provides an extra example of the key expressions from each chapter. The students are suppose to memorize all the dialogs and they're tested on the material twice a year. The fall semester Step & Jump test is next week, so I spent all morning reading the Step & Jump material out loud and having the students repeat after me.
A: May I read your book?
B: Sure, here you are.

A: Let's play soccer.
B: OK.
C: Sorry, I can't. I'm tired.
A: That's too bad.

A: What do you want?
B: That yellow bag, please. How much is it?
A: It's 500 won.

A: Julie, clean your room.
B: Yes, Mom. Zeeto, help me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Sorry, I just feel asleep typing that. I kept drifting off in class too. The emphasis on repetition and route memorization is my least favorite part of teaching in Korea and I try and avoid it as much as possible, but sometimes I have to bow to the prevailing system and be an English teaching robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment